These details are to help clubs better understand the 2017 Florida Summer Sevens Season and how the subsequent National Championship Qualification process will work.
Southern Conference which includes the following Regions: Florida, Georgia, Carolinas & True South, have been given two seeds to National Sevens Tournament in Blaine, Minnesota, on Aug. 12th & 13th. This is the same for both the Men’s and Women’s divisions. More information about the National Sevens Championships is available here — http://www.usaclub7s.com/
The exact Women’s South Qualification process will be determined via a Southern Conference meeting on Monday June 12th. The outcome from this meeting will be communicated on Tuesday June 13th. Any potential Florida seeds entered into this process will be determined via the three tournament Florida Championship Series.
The Men’s Southern Conference will hold it’s National Qualification Tournament on July 22nd to determine which teams will advancing onto the National Tournament. This tournament will be hosted in Atlanta at location yet to be confirmed. Florida has been allocated two seeds/teams in this Tournament. Those two teams are determined by our three tournament Florida Championship Series.
Florida Championship Series
The overall champion and runners up are crowned at the end of this series based on points accumulated throughout the three events. The three tournament series includes the following tournaments:
- Fiji Sevens in Miramar – (Hosted by Miami RFC) – June 10th
- Todd Miller Sevens in Orlando – (Hosted by UCF Rugby) – June 24th
- Gulf Coast Sevens in St Petersburg (Hosted by Bay Area Pelicans/Tampa Krewe) – July 8th
The following teams have declared their intent to be qualifying teams this summer. Please note if more teams wish join this process they must contact Evan Haigh (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Steve Braunstein (email@example.com) directly.
- Miami Amazon’s Rugby
- Orlando Women’s Rugby
- Phoenix Sevens RugbyDue to limited amount of women’s teams, both the qualifier and non-qualifying teams will play in same division in pool play. With the series points allocated per their finish within the given tournament. The top advancing qualifier teams to South Qualification process will be determined via the final Florida Series standings.
- Bay Area Barracudas Sevens
- Miami Rugby Club
- Naples Hammerhead Rugby
- Orlando Men’s RugbyThe Men’s series tournaments will be split into two divisions Qualifier and Open (Non-Qualifying). The four teams participating in qualifying division will have pool play followed by finals. Please note, for the Fiji 7s tournament the Qualifier Division will have five teams with New Orleans participating within the qualifying division for this tournament.
For both Men’s and Women’s teams to be eligible to be as a qualifying team and ultimately advance onto the South Tournament they must meet the USA Rugby eligibility requirements for each tournament they participated in which includes but is not limited to; Being registered and a compliant club with USA Rugby/FRU (please note college teams are not eligible), all participating players must appear on that clubs online roster, all participating players must have their ID’s checked before playing in each tournament and finally team must submit a signed roster form to the FRU.
After each tournament the points will be allocated based on where each team finished within their division. We will be using the following points system, at the conclusion of the third tournament, winner and runners up will be crowned for both the Men’s and Women’s Champions. Standing will be posted on this page.
- Points 22 – 1st Place/Cup Winner
- Points 19 – 2nd Place/ Cup Runner-Up
- Points 17 – 3rd Place
- Points 15 – 4th Place
- Points 13 – 5th Place
- Points 12 – 6th Place
- Points 0 – 7th and above
Player Eligibility & Rosters
- To eligible to participate within a team that is wishing to advance onto the South Qualification Process players must meet these these requirements:
- Players must appear on that team’s USA Rugby Online Roster on the day of the tournament. Players are allowed to transfer their registration to a new team for the summer however, this must be completed before the tournament and/or before registration deadline of July 1st.
- Players must not have played in a qualification tournament for any other team. That includes qualification tournaments outside of the state.
- Minors under the age of 18 must have an official USA Rugby signed parental or guardian consent form on file with the club acknowledging assumption of risk while participating in the sport. — Click here for the waiver document
- Teams wishing to advance onto the South Tournament must only play players who meet the above player eligibility requirements. Failing to meet these requirements will mean any series points earned with ineligible players will not be used in the final determination of who advances onto South Qualifiers.
- Teams wishing to advance in the South Qualification Process are only allowed to use a maximum roster of 12 players per tournament. There is no limit on number of players used by a team in multiple tournaments. This roster must be submitted to the FRU.
- Teams wishing to advance onto the South Qualification Process must have a minimum of 9 players on their roster per tournament.
- Each Roster may include a maximum of two (2) players who do not meet the criteria for player eligibility to participate on the National Team of the United States.
Further Information & Resources
- Sevens Roster Form – https://floridarugbyuniondotorg.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/sevens-roster-form.xlsx