2017 Florida Summer Sevens Series
2017 Florida Rugby Summer Sevens Series will follow the same format that was created last summer with three social tournaments to begin with followed by the three qualifying tournaments.
Last year all tournaments made great strides with improving the operations of their tournaments. We want will continue to help clubs make their tournament a success.
FRU 2017 Summer Sevens Series Dates
May 13 – Social Tournament – Host needed
May 20 – Sunshine State Games in Sarasota
May 27 – Memorial Day Weekend
June 3 – Surfin 7s – Lake Lytal Park – West Palm Beach
June 10 – Fiji Sevens – National Qualifying Tournament – Miramar Regional Park
June 17 – Break Weekend
June 24 – Todd Miller Sevens – QualifyingTournament – Emery Hamilton Sports Complex (Orlando Fairgrounds)
July 1st – 4th July Weekend
July 8th – Gulf Coast Sevens – Qualifying Tournament – Lakeland Sports Complex – St Petersburg
July 15 – Break Weekend
July 22 – Souths Hosted by GA
July 29 – Break Weekend
Aug 5 – BeerFoot Sevens – Ft Myers Beach
Aug 12 – Nationals -National Sports Center, Minnesota — usaclub7s.com
If you wish host one of the open tournaments dates. Please follow these three steps
- Download and complete the Tournament Application Document
- Pay your clubs $200 FRU Tournament Application Payment
- Finally upload the document and proof payment via the following link
Please note that this process must be completed by Friday February 17, 2017. The first round of applications will be reviewed by February 25th. This applications will be reviewed with the following factors in mind:
- Previous experience in hosting a tournament
- balancing of locations/dates between North & South Florida
- Quality of the facility provided.
If we have open for dates after the February 25th date we will review applications on a rolling basis.
USA Rugby & FRU Requirements for Tournaments
- Facility confirmation/contract for your desired date
- Access/plan for having posts, flags and post pads for at least three fields
- Tournament Director assigned with backup person engaged
- Host club must be in compliance with USA Rugby (at least 15 registered player + L200 coach on their roster)
- Understanding the only teams who are in compliance with USA Rugby are allowed to enter your tournament.
- Pay the FRU $200 Application Fee
- Complete USA Rugby online event sanctioning — http://events.usarugby.org/ — Please note that USA Rugby has introduced a $160 application fee for this. — We do need you to complete this until you have been approved by FRU as official Summer Series Tournament.
Please note: USA Rugby has changed their tournament sanctioning process. We will work with teams to help them ensure that their tournament meets their requirements. Without this sanctioning from both the FRU and USA Rugby you will not be able to have FRRA referees assigned to your tournament.
High Performance 7s – Rugby Development Academy
HP Sevens program is the perfect gateway for the state’s top rugby athletes to get a chance to represent their country on an international stage. One of the programs goals is to get the Florida HP Sevens program recognized as an Olympic Development Academy, which would give every player in the state the opportunity to get a chance to be chosen for the USA Eagles Olympic Pathway.
- Interested in 7s High Performance? Contact our 7s Director Steve Braunstein.
- Click Here to see Head Coach Ronnie Suarez Profile
Clubs that want to host a High School or Youth division in their tournament can provide a sectioned off beer garden with a vendor that is licensed to serve alcohol at the event. This will provide an area where alcohol can be enjoyed while also providing an area where transfer of alcohol to those underage could be monitored. If a tournament cannot support this requirement, they would have two additional options. One would be to ban alcohol from the playing fields/area or to not host a high school/youth division at their event.
Please note all checks must be made out to “Florida Rugby Union”. Please address the letter Evan Haigh, Florida Rugby Union, 2728 Dade Avenue, Apt 2123 Orlando Florida 32804
Tournament Organizers – Click on these links for informational documents