2017 Florida Summer Sevens Series
2017 Florida Rugby Summer Sevens Series will follow the same format that was created last summer with three social tournaments to begin with followed by the three qualifying tournaments (May 13 no social tournament application was received).
Last year all tournaments made great strides with improving the operations of their tournaments. We want will continue to help clubs make their tournament a success
FRU Sevens Series Standings
|Rank||Team||Todd Miller||Gulf Coast||Total Points||Points Differential|
|Rank||Team||Todd Miller||Gulf Coast||Total Series Comp Points||Points Differential|
**(i) In the event of two or more teams being equal on points for any position on the series table, the team with the highest margin of points scored for and against in all the series matches shall be the higher ranked;
**(ii) In the event that the (i) above does not provide a decision, the team which has the best total points scoring record shall be the higher ranking team.
*** (iii) In the event that both (i) & (ii) does not provide a decision, a coin toss by the Sevens Director shall determine the higher ranking team.
FRU 2017 Summer Sevens Series Dates
May 20 — Sunshine State Games — COMPLETED
G.T. Bray Recreation Center
5502 33rd Ave DR W, Bradenton, Florida 34209
- Registration Link – https://events.clearthunder.com/RUG2017
- Entry fee is $100 per team for U14 & U16 divisions and includes an Official Sunshine State Games t-shirt for athletes and one coach. NO refunds.
- Entry fee is $100 per team for High School divisions and includes an official Sunshine State Games t-shirt for athletes and one coach. NO refunds.
- Entry fee is $200 per team for Open divisions and includes an official Sunshine State Games t-shirt for athletes and one coach. NO refunds.
June 3 — Surfin 7s — COMPLETED
Lake Lytal Park
3645 Gun Club Road
West Palm Beach, FL 33406
- Registration Link — http://events.usarugby.org/e/surfin-7s
- High School Division — $160
- Men’s & Women’s Divisions — $260
June 24 — Todd Miller Sevens (National Qualifying Tournament)
Emery Hamilton Sports Complex (Orlando Fairgrounds)
4400 W Colonial Dr.
Orlando, FL 32808
- Event Page — http://www.facebook.com/events/1314342275321857
- TOURNAMENT SOLD OUT – AS OF JUNE 19th @ 5pm
June 10 — Fiji Sevens moved to July 1st
Miramar Regional Park
16801 Miramar Pkwy
Miramar, FL 33027
- Registration Link — http://events.usarugby.org/e/phillippe-fiji-leka-memorial-7s-fundraiser
- Men’s & Women’s Divisions — $250
- High School — $150
July 8th — Gulf Coast Sevens (National Qualifying Tournament)
Lakewood Sports Complex – St Petersburg
2001 Country Club Way S.
St. Petersburg, Florida 33712
- Registration Link — COMING SOON
- FEES — COMING SOON
July 22 – Southern Conference Championships hosted by GA
- Awaiting the Georgia Rugby Union announce full details.
Aug 5 – BeerFoot Sevens
Ft Myers Beach
- $300 per team
Aug 12 – Nationals -National Sports Center, Minnesota — usaclub7s.com
Florida 7s Series and National 7s Qualification
These details are to help clubs better understand the 2017 Florida Summer Sevens Season and how the subsequent National Championship Qualification process will work.
Southern Conference which includes the following Regions: Florida, Georgia, Carolinas & True South, have been given two seeds to National Sevens Tournament in Blaine, Minnesota, on Aug. 12th & 13th. This is the same for both the Men’s and Women’s divisions. More information about the National Sevens Championships is available here — http://www.usaclub7s.com/
The exact Women’s South Qualification process will be determined via a Southern Conference meeting on Monday June 12th. The outcome from this meeting will be communicated on Tuesday June 13th. Any potential Florida seeds entered into this process will be determined via the three tournament Florida Championship Series.
The Men’s Southern Conference will hold it’s National Qualification Tournament on July 22nd to determine which teams will advancing onto the National Tournament. This tournament will be hosted in Atlanta at location yet to be confirmed. Florida has been allocated two seeds/teams in this Tournament. Those two teams are determined by our
three two tournament Florida Championship Series.
Florida Championship Series
The overall champion and runners up are crowned at the end of this series based on points accumulated throughout the
three two events. The three two tournament series includes the following tournaments: Fiji Sevens in Miramar – (Hosted by Miami RFC) – June 10th— CANCELLED DUE TO WEATHER
- Todd Miller Sevens in Orlando – (Hosted by UCF Rugby) – June 24th
- Gulf Coast Sevens in St Petersburg (Hosted by Bay Area Pelicans/Tampa Krewe) – July 8th
The following teams have declared their intent to be qualifying teams this summer. Please note if more teams wish join this process they must contact Evan Haigh (email@example.com) or Steve Braunstein (firstname.lastname@example.org) directly.
- Miami Amazon’s Rugby
- Orlando Women’s Rugby
- Phoenix Sevens RugbyDue to limited amount of women’s teams, both the qualifier and non-qualifying teams will play in same division in pool play. With the series points allocated per their finish within the given tournament. The top advancing qualifier teams to South Qualification process will be determined via the final Florida Series standings.
- Bay Area Barracudas Sevens
- Miami Rugby Club
- Naples Hammerhead Rugby
- Orlando Men’s RugbyThe Men’s series tournaments will be split into two divisions Qualifier and Open (Non-Qualifying). The four teams participating in qualifying division will have pool play followed by finals. Please note, for the Fiji 7s tournament the Qualifier Division will have five teams with New Orleans participating within the qualifying division for this tournament.
For both Men’s and Women’s teams to be eligible as a qualifying team and ultimately advance onto the South Tournament they must meet the USA Rugby eligibility requirements for each tournament they participated in which includes but is not limited to; Being registered and a compliant club with USA Rugby/FRU (please note college teams are not eligible), all participating players must appear on that clubs online roster, all participating players must have their ID’s checked before playing in each tournament and finally team must submit a signed roster form to the FRU.
After each tournament the points will be allocated based on where each team finished within their division. We will be using the following points system, at the conclusion of the third tournament, winner and runners up will be crowned for both the Men’s and Women’s Champions. Standing will be posted on this page.
- Points 22 – 1st Place/Cup Winner
- Points 19 – 2nd Place/ Cup Runner-Up
- Points 17 – 3rd Place
- Points 15 – 4th Place
- Points 13 – 5th Place
- Points 12 – 6th Place
- Points 0 – 7th and above
Player Eligibility & Rosters
- To eligible to participate within a team that is wishing to advance onto the South Qualification Process players must meet these these requirements:
- Players must appear on that team’s USA Rugby Online Roster on the day of the tournament. Players are allowed to transfer their registration to a new team for the summer however, this must be completed before the tournament and/or before registration deadline of July 1st.
- Players must not have played in a qualification tournament for any other team. That includes qualification tournaments outside of the state.
- Minors under the age of 18 must have an official USA Rugby signed parental or guardian consent form on file with the club acknowledging assumption of risk while participating in the sport. — Click here for the waiver document
- Teams wishing to advance onto the South Tournament must only play players who meet the above player eligibility requirements. Failing to meet these requirements will mean any series points earned with ineligible players will not be used in the final determination of who advances onto South Qualifiers.
- Teams wishing to advance in the South Qualification Process are only allowed to use a maximum roster of 12 players per tournament. There is no limit on number of players used by a team in multiple tournaments. This roster must be submitted to the FRU.
- Teams wishing to advance onto the South Qualification Process must have a minimum of 9 players on their roster per tournament.
- Each Roster may include a maximum of two (2) players who do not meet the criteria for player eligibility to participate on the National Team of the United States.
Further Information & Resources
- Sevens Roster Form – https://floridarugbyuniondotorg.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/sevens-roster-form.xlsx
If you wish host one of the open tournaments dates. Please follow these three steps
- Download and complete the Tournament Application Document
- Pay your clubs $200 FRU Tournament Application Payment
- Finally upload the document and proof payment via the following link
Please note that this process must be completed by Friday February 17, 2017. The first round of applications will be reviewed by February 25th. This applications will be reviewed with the following factors in mind:
- Previous experience in hosting a tournament
- balancing of locations/dates between North & South Florida
- Quality of the facility provided.
If we have open for dates after the February 25th date we will review applications on a rolling basis.
USA Rugby & FRU Requirements for Tournaments
- Facility confirmation/contract for your desired date
- Access/plan for having posts, flags and post pads for at least three fields
- Tournament Director assigned with backup person engaged
- Host club must be in compliance with USA Rugby (at least 15 registered player + L200 coach on their roster)
- Understanding the only teams who are in compliance with USA Rugby are allowed to enter your tournament.
- Pay the FRU $200 Application Fee
- Complete USA Rugby online event sanctioning — http://events.usarugby.org/ — Please note that USA Rugby has introduced a $160 application fee for this. — We do need you to complete this until you have been approved by FRU as official Summer Series Tournament.
Please note: USA Rugby has changed their tournament sanctioning process. We will work with teams to help them ensure that their tournament meets their requirements. Without this sanctioning from both the FRU and USA Rugby you will not be able to have FRRA referees assigned to your tournament.
High Performance 7s – Rugby Development Academy
HP Sevens program is the perfect gateway for the state’s top rugby athletes to get a chance to represent their country on an international stage. One of the programs goals is to get the Florida HP Sevens program recognized as an Olympic Development Academy, which would give every player in the state the opportunity to get a chance to be chosen for the USA Eagles Olympic Pathway.
- Interested in 7s High Performance? Contact our 7s Director Steve Braunstein.
- Click Here to see Head Coach Ronnie Suarez Profile
Clubs that want to host a High School or Youth division in their tournament can provide a sectioned off beer garden with a vendor that is licensed to serve alcohol at the event. This will provide an area where alcohol can be enjoyed while also providing an area where transfer of alcohol to those underage could be monitored. If a tournament cannot support this requirement, they would have two additional options. One would be to ban alcohol from the playing fields/area or to not host a high school/youth division at their event.
Please note all checks must be made out to “Florida Rugby Union”. Please address the letter Evan Haigh, Florida Rugby Union, 2728 Dade Avenue, Apt 2123 Orlando Florida 32804
Tournament Organizers – Click on these links for informational documents