This upcoming Sunday at our Annual General Meeting we will hold elections for the FRU board. While every position is open for election, right now we know our Secretary does not plan to run again and we are not aware of any parties interested in the spot. This would be GREAT for someone looking to build their CV/resume for marketing or communications or someone that already has that experience and is looking to help the Union improve our communication and marketing efforts. If you need more details, please contact our President Kerri via phone or email.
Start Time: 2pm
Orlando Public Library – Downtown Orlando
101 E Central Blvd
Orlando, FL 32801
Conference Room: Albertson Room — 3rd Floor
The “President” (as hereinafter defined) will report on the affairs of the Union during the period since the last Annual General Meeting;
The “Treasurer” (as hereinafter defined) will report on the financial affairs of the Union during the period since the last Annual General Meeting;
The Union members shall elect the Union Officers for the coming year;
The Union shall address any scheduling issues related to upcoming year, as a whole group or through subcommittee meetings organized by divisions
The Union shall address the budget related to upcoming year (see role of Officers in setting budget in Article 6)
The Union shall consider any new business (including agenda items submitted by members).
The members will consider any applications for Union membership by new clubs, which consideration shall be subject to the provisions of Section 2.01(a) hereof;
https://rugbyamericasnorth.com/events/superweek/ – The annual 2016 RAN Superweek goes from July 15th-22nd and features 20 matches and 12 teams. Both the Men’s U19 Championships and the second annual Women’s 10s tournament will be featured at the event.
These details are to help clubs better understand the 2017 Florida Summer Sevens Season and how the subsequent National Championship Qualification process will work.
Southern Conference which includes the following Regions: Florida, Georgia, Carolinas & True South, have been given two seeds to National Sevens Tournament in Blaine, Minnesota, on Aug. 12th & 13th. This is the same for both the Men’s and Women’s divisions. More information about the National Sevens Championships is available here — http://www.usaclub7s.com/
The exact Women’s South Qualification process will be determined via a Southern Conference meeting on Monday June 12th. The outcome from this meeting will be communicated on Tuesday June 13th. Any potential Florida seeds entered into this process will be determined via the three tournament Florida Championship Series.
The Men’s Southern Conference will hold it’s National Qualification Tournament on July 22nd to determine which teams will advancing onto the National Tournament. This tournament will be hosted in Atlanta at location yet to be confirmed. Florida has been allocated two seeds/teams in this Tournament. Those two teams are determined by our three tournament Florida Championship Series.
Florida Championship Series
The overall champion and runners up are crowned at the end of this series based on points accumulated throughout the three events. The three tournament series includes the following tournaments:
- Fiji Sevens in Miramar – (Hosted by Miami RFC) – June 10th
- Todd Miller Sevens in Orlando – (Hosted by UCF Rugby) – June 24th
- Gulf Coast Sevens in St Petersburg (Hosted by Bay Area Pelicans/Tampa Krewe) – July 8th
The following teams have declared their intent to be qualifying teams this summer. Please note if more teams wish join this process they must contact Evan Haigh (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Steve Braunstein (email@example.com) directly.
- Miami Amazon’s Rugby
- Orlando Women’s Rugby
- Phoenix Sevens RugbyDue to limited amount of women’s teams, both the qualifier and non-qualifying teams will play in same division in pool play. With the series points allocated per their finish within the given tournament. The top advancing qualifier teams to South Qualification process will be determined via the final Florida Series standings.
- Bay Area Barracudas Sevens
- Miami Rugby Club
- Naples Hammerhead Rugby
- Orlando Men’s RugbyThe Men’s series tournaments will be split into two divisions Qualifier and Open (Non-Qualifying). The four teams participating in qualifying division will have pool play followed by finals. Please note, for the Fiji 7s tournament the Qualifier Division will have five teams with New Orleans participating within the qualifying division for this tournament.
For both Men’s and Women’s teams to be eligible to be as a qualifying team and ultimately advance onto the South Tournament they must meet the USA Rugby eligibility requirements for each tournament they participated in which includes but is not limited to; Being registered and a compliant club with USA Rugby/FRU (please note college teams are not eligible), all participating players must appear on that clubs online roster, all participating players must have their ID’s checked before playing in each tournament and finally team must submit a signed roster form to the FRU.
After each tournament the points will be allocated based on where each team finished within their division. We will be using the following points system, at the conclusion of the third tournament, winner and runners up will be crowned for both the Men’s and Women’s Champions. Standing will be posted on this page.
- Points 22 – 1st Place/Cup Winner
- Points 19 – 2nd Place/ Cup Runner-Up
- Points 17 – 3rd Place
- Points 15 – 4th Place
- Points 13 – 5th Place
- Points 12 – 6th Place
- Points 0 – 7th and above
Player Eligibility & Rosters
- To eligible to participate within a team that is wishing to advance onto the South Qualification Process players must meet these these requirements:
- Players must appear on that team’s USA Rugby Online Roster on the day of the tournament. Players are allowed to transfer their registration to a new team for the summer however, this must be completed before the tournament and/or before registration deadline of July 1st.
- Players must not have played in a qualification tournament for any other team. That includes qualification tournaments outside of the state.
- Minors under the age of 18 must have an official USA Rugby signed parental or guardian consent form on file with the club acknowledging assumption of risk while participating in the sport. — Click here for the waiver document
- Teams wishing to advance onto the South Tournament must only play players who meet the above player eligibility requirements. Failing to meet these requirements will mean any series points earned with ineligible players will not be used in the final determination of who advances onto South Qualifiers.
- Teams wishing to advance in the South Qualification Process are only allowed to use a maximum roster of 12 players per tournament. There is no limit on number of players used by a team in multiple tournaments. This roster must be submitted to the FRU.
- Teams wishing to advance onto the South Qualification Process must have a minimum of 9 players on their roster per tournament.
- Each Roster may include a maximum of two (2) players who do not meet the criteria for player eligibility to participate on the National Team of the United States.
Further Information & Resources
- Sevens Roster Form – https://floridarugbyuniondotorg.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/sevens-roster-form.xlsx
Below is the final list of Men’s Open Teams for the Sunshine Games this weekend, and the morning schedule.
Men’s Open Teams:
Bay Area Barracudas 1
University of South Florida Rugby Club
U.S. Coast Guard Rugby
Treasure Coast Pirates
Sarasota Rugby Club
Bay Area Barracudas 2
Schedule of Events:
Saturday, May 20, 2017
9:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. – Teams Check-in
10:00 a.m. – Mandatory Coaches Meeting
10:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. – Competition
The FRU has the opportunity to host a player camp with Magali Harvey, IRB 2014 Women’s Player of the Year (https://youtu.be/B7em0YJYBk8). This camp would be in partnership with several groups so we are trying to find the best fit for dates and venue. Approximate cost would be $25 and include lunch. We are looking for interested parties to complete this form so we can best plan for this opportunity. https://goo.gl/forms/ZUyJwY18fGxiA9zq2
She would like to do a camp that covers basic skills but also focuses in on the ability to step and manipulate a defender (one of her trademark skills). She has just as much experience in the 7s world as she does in the 15s world so it would be a mutually beneficial camp.
Having received her first cap with Canada’s Women’s Sevens Team in 2011, Harvey was later on the Canadian side that won a silver medal at the 2013 Women’s Rugby World Cup Sevens. She has also represented her country with the fifteens and was a big reason why Canada also finished second at the 2014 Women’s Rugby World Cup. After her strong performance, in which she finished second in tournament scoring with 61 points and had a highlight reel 87-metre run for a try against France, Harvey was named the 2014 IRB Women’s Player of the Year. With speed being her best intangible, Harvey’s transition back to the sevens game was easy. She was Canada’s leading scorer at the 2015 Pan Am Games in Toronto, scoring 48 points on eight tries and four conversions, helping the team win the first ever Pan Am Games gold in women’s rugby. After competing in the first tournament of the 2015-16 World Rugby Women’s Sevens World Series, Harvey suffered an injury that kept her out of action until the final stop of the season in May. Despite playing in only two events, Harvey finished the 2015-16 WSWS season with nine tries, tied for fourth on the team.
FRU 2017 Summer Sevens Series Dates
May 20 — Sunshine State Games
G.T. Bray Recreation Center
5502 33rd Ave DR W, Bradenton, Florida 34209
- Registration Link – https://events.clearthunder.com/RUG2017
- Entry fee is $100 per team for U14 & U16 divisions and includes an Official Sunshine State Games t-shirt for athletes and one coach. NO refunds.
- Entry fee is $100 per team for High School divisions and includes an official Sunshine State Games t-shirt for athletes and one coach. NO refunds.
- Entry fee is $200 per team for Open divisions and includes an official Sunshine State Games t-shirt for athletes and one coach. NO refunds.
June 3 — Surfin 7s
Lake Lytal Park
3645 Gun Club Road
West Palm Beach, FL 33406
- Registration Link — http://events.usarugby.org/e/surfin-7s
- High School Division — $160
- Men’s & Women’s Divisions — $260
June 10 — Fiji Sevens (National Qualifying Tournament)
Miramar Regional Park
16801 Miramar Pkwy
Miramar, FL 33027
- Registration Link — COMING SOON
- Men’s & Women’s — $250
- High School — $150
June 24 — Todd Miller Sevens (National Qualifying Tournament)
Emery Hamilton Sports Complex (Orlando Fairgrounds)
4400 W Colonial Dr.
Orlando, FL 32808
- Registration Link –COMING SOON
- FEES — COMING SOON
July 8th — Gulf Coast Sevens (National Qualifying Tournament)
Lakewood Sports Complex – St Petersburg
2001 Country Club Way S.
St. Petersburg, Florida 33712
- Registration Link — COMING SOON
- FEES — COMING SOON
July 22 – Southern Conference Championships hosted by GA
- Awaiting the Georgia Rugby Union announce full details.
Aug 5 – BeerFoot Sevens
Ft Myers Beach
- $300 per team
This past weekend was a great one for Florida Women’s Rugby – they say good things happen in “threes”. We had UCF Women finish 3rd in the D1 Spring Championship with a win Saturday over Stanford, 45 to 19. FRRA referee Haylee Slaughter called the D1 Elite Women’s Final, Penn State vs. Lindenwood. On Sunday Fort Miami won the South Regional Championship hosted here in Florida at Ormond Beach with a decided win over Knoxville, 54 to 17, and advance to the USA Round of 8 Playoffs in Pittsburgh. This is the campaign for their gofundme for that trip: https://www.gofundme.com/fort-miami-takes-on-the-south